Wednesday, 9 October 2013

My first Oculus-based FPV!

At last, I was finally able to do my first FPV flight ever! Not the usual FPV system here as I'm using an Oculus Rift for display. The camera on the tricopter is a GoPro Hero 3. Both of these have a huge field of view so the feeling of immersion is just great!

On the down side though, this requires quite a bit of hardware (a laptop, an USB video capture device, the Rift itself, batteries...) and software (home made in my case). So this looks quite messy and not (yet!) as practical as a commercial out-of-the box FPV solution, but I'm working on it. There's also a bit of lag in the video feed most probably due to the video capture stage. It's still flyable though.

The reception/display set up

Here are some of the videos recorded by the GoPro. Note that these are not what I'm seeing live when flying. The transmitted video is noisy and smaller in resolution.







No comments:

Post a Comment